My First Post


Welcome to my blog!

My name is Luke Hull; I am a student at Purdue University studying Unmanned Aerial Systems with a minor in Business Management. Through my course work here at Purdue and experience working in the UAS field I have begun to develop industry skills and interests. Prior to attending school here at Purdue I had very little to no UAS experience, the field was very new and just beginning to evolve. Upon my enrollment into the school of aviation and UAS curriculum my interests and experience quickly grew. The Purdue curriculum has allowed me to gain experience with the design and construction of UAS platforms, flight operations experience and a deep knowledge of the rules and regulations around UAS operations. I continue to gain real world experience in the industry and a growing interest in UAS. In the summer of 2018 I worked for a UAS service provider in New Jersey, I worked as an Operations Management Intern. Although this was my title I assisted in almost all aspects of the business as the company was only a start up with few employees. The experience allowed me to see not only the UAS operations side of the industry but also the business side of the industry. This had peaked my interest in the operations and business management of UAS departments and companies, while also giving me real world field experience.

My initial interest in the UAS program at Purdue University was the opportunity to be part of something new and exciting. I have always found interests in innovating, inventing and working hands on with equipment. The UAS program seemed to fit my interests and allowed me to go into a new field with new technologies that have been steadily evolving. The consistent innovations with artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles and robotics impacts the field of UAS and is allowing it to advance in new ways. Technology continues to evolve and I am interested to see where the industry goes and where it takes me.  

My career goals in the industry are to work on the design and development of new UAS platforms for companies. I hope to gain more experience in the design and construction field in the upcoming years and ideally transition my work experience into a Management position at a company.

Blog Critiques

Niklas Anderson, Geog 390, Fall 2015

The layout of the blog is simple and easy to navigate but is lacking in overall design and individuality. The content of the posts seems to be comprised of mostly pictures and graphics with little detail and analysis of the projects, the graphics are good and properly annotated. The flight log and preflight checks page has major issues with the layout of the chart and needs to be adjusted. I think the blog could use an about me page as well. Overall this blog needs a lot more work, the initial layout and navigation is very easy to understand but lacks creativity. The content is good but needs adjusting and formatting.

Zach Mailler, Geog 390, Spring 2017

This blog has a good layout and the posts have good content. Each posts contains relevant graphics with proper annotations, the analysis of the project and mission is also thorough and complete. The blog is very plain and can use some more creative design aspects. The maps page needs more of a purpose. There are no annotations on any of the maps in the maps page and I am confused what they are for or what they go to. This blog could also use an about me page. Overall a simple and easy to navigate blog with good posts, the extra pages need work.

Evan Hockridge, AT419, Spring 2019

Simple and clean design without being too bland. This blog is easy to navigate and has tabs with relevant information. I think the tabs could be cleaned up a bit, not sure how but could reduce some clutter at the top. The posts go into great detail and analysis and are enhanced with relevant graphics and images. The majority of graphics have proper annotations. Overall this is a very good blog and I think the only thing is to somehow reduce some of the clutter as I mentioned.  

Dylan McQueen, AT419, Spring 2019

The layout of the blog is good but the design is very distracting from the content. The background image is very distracting and the transparency of the posts make it difficult to read. I think this blog should go with a different simpler approach. This blog could use an about me page as well as contact information. Also the figures page has no content in it. Graphics in each post are not annotated and not sure where they go. Overall this blog definitely needs some work it seems unfinished or a work in progress.

Kyle Sheehan, AT419, Spring 2019

I really like the layout and design of this blog, it is simple, easy to navigate and has good design aspects. I like how the posts are not shown in their entirety and you are able to click to read more. This cleans up the page a lot and reduces the amount of clutter. Posts contain good detail and relevant images. Overall I think this blog has a successful layout and design with good content.

To summarize, from the blogs I have looked at it is very important to have a layout that is simple and user friendly. The user should not be confused when they are on your page and should know exactly where to find things. The design needs to be simple but creative, when creating this blog the design should not distract from the content. The e-portfolios have definitely improved over time and have become a more successful tool in presenting the work of the students. Work is better presented and annotated and the blogs look like finished products. I noticed some of the older blogs looked like they were only work in progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIS Day Poster

Processing Data in Pix4D, No GCP's